Thursday, October 14, 2010

Is It Better To Multi-Task Or To Focus One Thing?

google-site-verification: googlea01fb84285b9775a.html

Before I left New York to go out west I met with my pops and he said "dont be a jack of all trades and master of none". I didnt quite take into consideration what he was telling me until several years later. See I wanted to be a artist,clothing designer,CEO,video director and producer.I realized I had the ablity to do all of these things but it would be very time consuming. Most people juggle three or four things at once which is great if they're all being handled effectively. However when you are multi-tasking you tend to take away from one of the projects your working on . Take for instinces Jay-Z the reason he became successful was not because of Roc-A-Wear , New Jersey Nets or 40/40. Even though he owns these companies it was because he mastered the artistry of the hip hop craft. Thus allowing him to venture off into other lucrative business endevors. I see plenty of artist that want to wear every hat in the industry when it pushes you further away from your goal. Take the time out to focus on building up one skill at a time . That way you anlayze each component of the skill your addressing before moving on to learning a new skill. Also choose the skill that you will excel at and which will be the most profitiable . I say this because this will allow you once youv'e mastered that craft to invest into the other things you wanted to do. Im not saying don't multi-task because everyone does it but just focus your energy soley on one thing at a time and you will see the difference. What do you feel is better one thing or multi-tasking? I would love to hear what ya'll think.

1 comment:

  1. It's the chicken or the egg theory meshed with not throwing all your eggs in one basket.

    Which comes first, some people need money...well most people need money unless you're lucky so sometimes it's like "ok lemme do this one to get paid & then I can do this one with the money I get." Then during the money getting phase it's like "well wait a minute am I throwing all my eggs in one basket? Is this what I set out to do" This can pay a huge toll on the mind. When in reality you just want to cross the first bridge, toll is like 2 dollars man slow down & stop going over ones with trolls on the bottom.

    If I've lost you by now i'm happy because i'm saying a lot quickly.

    Essentially focus on one task to get to the other, treat it like a relay race, a very long marathon towards life destiny.

    I was told a long time ago that in Alchoholics Anonymous people go "damn that's a lot of steps" so they teach you, take it one step at a time.

    I added onto this by going ok but lemme focus on why i'm doing this task, I discipline myself like "ok i'm doing this so that I can get the money to make my movies & video games clothing lines etc."

    If you analyze what's the thing that is highly possible & is also probable then that's the thing you should be doing. Also if it's morally in line with what you're trying to do.

    For some this means getting a low level job in the industry, for others it can be utilizing the skill of product development to develop a product with the materials they have in order to build a business that makes enough money so they can buy their own restauraunt.

    Life is meant to be taken in steps, but if you have a staircase that leads to knowhere you can end up wondering where the fuck am I going?

    Now me I got a destination, so I don't care what kinda steps I gotta take to get their, but as long as I end up at the top of the stairs i'll be happy.

    I liked this post, reminded me that what i'm doing is still on track with life destiny. It's been a long time coming, bout to take another step towards my goal.

    Now please enjoy some John Coltrane to make the step taking process a bit easier.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqb0373cVs&feature=player_embedded#!

    --Joshua Lebeau

    P.S. In chess you think ten moves ahead, but unless you make the first move the sequence will never come to reality. Sure in the end you might gain a piece, but you do have to move the pawn first. Also life much like in chess is on a clock, so make the right moves & get what you want & need.

    ReplyDelete